Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Fountain Pen Calligraphy - Li Bai Chang Gan Xing (李白-长干行)

Yesterday, I did a fountain pen calligraphy of a famous poem of Li Bai, Chang Gan Xing (李白,长干行). I did this version of poem in simplified Chinese (简体) and formal script kai shu (楷书) and I am planning to do another one in classic Chinese soon.

I must admit that I have not been practising fountain pen calligraphy for quite a long time but hey it is better late than never. So here it is, the scanned copy of my yesterday's work. Feel free to download and copy it.


Below is the translation of the poem, from a website on Baidu 

长干行
The River-merchantfe:A Letter

妾发初覆额,折花门前剧;

While my hair was still cut straight across my forehead
I played about the front gate, pulling flowers.

郎骑竹马来,绕床弄青梅。

You came by on bamboo stilts, playing horse,
You walked about my seat, playing with blue plums.

同居长干里两小无嫌猜。

And we went on living in the village of Chokan:
Two small people, without dislike or suspicion.

十四为君妇,羞颜未尝开。

At forteen I married My Lord you.
I never laughed, being bashful.

低头向暗壁,千唤不一回。

Lowering my head, I looked at the wall.
Called to, a thousand times, I never looked back.

十五始展眉,愿同尘与灰。

At fifteen I stopped scowling,
I desired my dust to be mingled with yours

常存抱柱信,岂上望夫台。

Forever and forever and forever.
Why should I climb the look out?

十六君远行,瞿塘滟滪堆。

At sixteen you departed,
You went into far Ku-to-en, by the river ofrling eddies,

五月不可触,猿声天上哀。

And you have been gone five months.
The monkeys make sorrowful noise overhead.

门前迟行迹,一一生绿苔。

You dragged your feet when you went out.
By the gate now, the moss is grown, the different mosses,

苔深不能扫,落叶秋风早。

Too deep to clear them away!
The leaves fall early this autumn, in wind.

八月蝴蝶黄,双飞西园草。

The paired butterflies are already yellow with August
Over the grass in the West garden;

感此伤妾心,坐愁红颜老!

They hurt me. I grow older.

早晚下三巴,预将书报家。

If you are coming down through the narrows of the river Kiang,
Please let me know beforehand,

相迎不道远,直至长风沙。

And I will come out to meet you
As far as Cho-fu-Sa

Thank you for viewing. Keep smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment